Sunday, October 7, 2012

Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday



Welcome to Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday at A Monster Ate My Book Report!
This is a great meme started by Ms. Shannon Messenger, author of her own Middle-Grade Book, Keeper of the Lost Cities.  There are lots of fantastic bloggers out their who are excited to tell you all about Middle-Grade Books, so make sure you check out Ms. Shannon's Blog to get all the links.
Thanks,
Marsh and Emiline



     I was delighted to meet Adam Gidwitz when he came to Little Shop of Stories in Decatur, Georgia.  I have emailed him a few times but never met him face to face.  
     I had a wonderful time hanging out with my favorite author.  We talked about our favorite books and we laughed about Adam Rex's Frankenstein Takes the Cake. We discussed the Harry Potter Series and even talked about comic books!  Mr. Adam told me about his acting experience.  He was hilarious.  His talk at Little Shop of Stories was totally extreme.  I was very proud of him--a ton of people showed up.  
     I am really looking forward to his next book.

     --Emiline


Look! It's Adam Gidwitz at Little Shop of Stories!

 Here we are pretending to be totally normal,
but we're not.



My Review of In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz

            Adam Gidwitz has done it again!  Did you know that Jack and Jill are royalty, too?  Well, of course they’re not brother and sister, but they are cousins who go on a marvelous adventure.  Wait, am I forgetting something?  Oh yes, I will tell you about that in the summary.
            Summary:  Do you ever think you have the best mother?  Because Jill really did.  Not only was she great, she was queen of märchen and she was beautiful.  Jack is an imaginative young boy who has a father who wants one thing for Jack: he wants him to be a man and to break his imaginative side.  But Jack’s dreams wander farther. 
            Jack and Jill’s paths cross and they come upon an old woman who says she can grant their wishes—if they can find the seeing glass.  (Jill’s wish is to be beautiful, Jack’s to be admired by the boys.)  So they set out on a quest with their three legged frog friend.  You can learn more about him when you read A Glass Grimmly.
            I love this book.  I love Adam Gidwitz’s writing because of his grim details and his hilarious narrating skills.  You can be in the worst of moods and his books will make you happier—at least that’s how it works for me.  I also like the way reading his books makes you feel like you’ve visited another country.  You really get the chance to explore.  And if you ever go to that country you’ll know something about it!

            To find out more about Adam Gidwitz and his wonderful GRIMM tales visit:
http://www.adamgidwitz.com/
Also, A Tale Dark and Grimm is Al Roker's Book Club pick for October! I'm so excited that more people will find out about this great author.
This is the book trailer for In a Glass Grimmly-

 And, in case you missed A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz you can check out my review here:

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you had a super awesome time meeting him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What grade are you in? You are a wonderful writer! Thank you for the post and pix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite posts ever! I loved the interview and the photos! I read the first book in this series, but haven't gotten a chance to read this one. From your review- it sounds awesome. I love that the author was so interesting and down to earth. You talked about so many great topics! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everybody! Thanks for reading and commenting on this post. I had a great experience with Adam Gidwitz. His books are great. I think everyone should read them.
    Emiline

    ReplyDelete