Friday, October 21, 2011

Emiline Reviews A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz





     I was flabbergasted when I found out there was a perfect book for me.  It is A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz.  A Tale Dark and Grimm is spectacular AND scary.  If you are ready for a spine-tingling adventure you need to read this book.

     This book starts with the story of Faithful Johannes.  Faithful Johannes has been serving king after king.  Soon, the throne was passed down to Hansel and Gretel's dad.  (What?  You didn't know Hansel and Gretel were royalty? Gasp!)  Well, in a secret room there is a picture of the Gold Princess.  The King thought she was beautiful, but what he didn't know was that she was sad because all of her husbands had died.  The king didn't care about her past because he loved her so much.  So, he got some gold and bribed her until she said she would marry him.  When the King and the Gold Princess were talking, faithful Johannes was listening to three ravens; they were talking about the Gold Princess' fate and what to do. The ravens said that the Gold Princess would die on her wedding night unless somebody sucked three drops of blood from her lip. All the things they said were true.  Well, when the new Queen almost died Johannes knew what to do.  He sucked three droplets of blood from her lip.  The King did not like that so he killed faithful Johannes. Johannes did not die though, he just turned to stone.  The King and Queen almost forgot about how good Johannes had been to them.

     One day the King was talking to Johannes' statue.  He said there was a way to bring him back to life, but he would have to cut off  the heads of his children, Hansel and Gretel.  The King didn't want to, but he did.  Somehow Hansel and Gretel's heads were put back on and they ran into the forest and away from their parents.  In the forest Hansel and Gretel find a candy house.  What will happen to them next?What is their next adventure?  Find out in A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz.

     I think A Tale Dark and Grimm is one of the best books I've read.  I liked that it was based on a Grimm fairytale and that it was creepy!  My favorite character in this book was Gretel because she was always willing to do dangerous things.  When I got this book I knew I was going to love it because it looked scary and fun.  I also love the cover art.  If you don't like scary things this isn't the best book for you, but if you do like scary things then you will love this book!  (And if Adam Gidwitz is reading this-- good job on writing good literature and a great grim fairytale!)

I give this book 5 monsters plus 8 bonus monsters!!
I LOVE THIS BOOK!




I found this book at The Decatur Book Festival.  My friends at Little Shop of Stories recommended it. You can find A Tale Dark and Grimm at your school or local library, or at your favorite bookstore.

To find out more about this book and its author click this link- http://www.adamgidwitz.com/

And check out my FAVORITE Book Trailer-

No comments:

Post a Comment