Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Emiline's Review of This Dark Endeavor

Emiline's Review of This Dark Endeavor
(The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein #1)
By Kenneth Oppel


     This is a modern prequel to the gothic classic Frankenstein. Victor Frankenstein’s brother is very ill and not a single doctor knows a cure.  To make matters worse, they do not even know the illness!  So Victor and his sister, Elizabeth, secretly set out to find the legendary alchemist.  He is known for his advanced healing skills, but he was prosecuted for creating the elixir of life which sometimes you do not live through.  This is the story of how Victor Frankenstein started to figure out the secrets of life and death.


           These are the things I loved when I read this book:
I loved the way the author, Kenneth Oppel, described the potions in the alchemist’s laboratory.  I also thought the passion that Victor had for Elizabeth was wonderful.  Oppel really did well creating the emotion between the characters.  I also enjoyed the brotherhood between Konrad and Victor.  Victor stood by his brother’s side even during his illness.  Finally, I loved the last words in this book.  They really were emotional and sent chills up my spine.

My friends at Little Shop of Stories recommended this book for me. Thanks!  I would also like to thank Mr. Oppel for taking his time to sign my book and talk to me at the Little Shop of Stories Author Reception.  That was very nice.
If you would like to read This Dark Endeavor, you can find it at your school or local library or your favorite Indie Bookstore.

To find out more about this book and the author, Kenneth Oppel please visit this website:

This is the Book Trailer for This Dark Endeavor:


No comments:

Post a Comment