Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Marsh Reviews Lois Lowry's The Giver

    My Book Report on The Giver:





     Jonas lives in a society where everything is on a schedule and every age group gets the same thing at the same time.  He is very excited about The Ceremony of Twelve.  The Ceremony of Twelve is where you get assigned a job.
            
     Jonas gets assigned to the Giver.  The Giver teaches him the true pain and wonders of life.  Jonas has never experienced true pain because his society keeps him safe from virtually everything.  Through these experiences, Jonas finds out some horrendous things about his society.  This will lead him toward one big decision. . .
           
     I knew nothing about The Giver until I was assigned to read it for school.  I thought I would hate it, but it turned out to be great.  I thought it was a bit disturbing and sad.  It was sad because the people didn't get to experience all of the fun things in life.  They are restricted to one area for their entire lives.
            
My Response to The Giver:

     The Giver made me feel depressed.  It made me feel that way because the society kills the smaller one of the twins.  Also, in Jonas’ society everyone is technically the same because they are all given the same things at the same age.  The people in their society do not get to make any of their own choices. 

     The Giver also made me eager to see what job Jonas would get assigned to during The Ceremony of Twelve.  During The Ceremony of Twelve you are assigned to a job when you turn twelve, but you don’t get to pick you job; the elders in the society pick for you by monitoring everything you do for your entire life.  

I give The Giver by Lois Lowry FOUR MONSTERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment